The Almost Christian

 Through this week I have been enlightened from the Evening readings from Acts.  It is something that we need to think about as well.  When we are put in front of the truth about Jesus Christ, how do we react?  The characters in this account in Acts 26 have interest.  They even think they will see something Jesus does for their entertainment.  Acts 26 is the text.


"26For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner. 27King Agrippa, believest thou the prophets? I know that thou believest. 28Then Agrippa said unto Paul, Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian. "

There are many almost times in our lives and in also in our acquaintances and friends/families.  When we see the facts about Jesus and the testimony of others in the Scriptures, what is our response?

1. The Apostle clearly explains to the rulers what happened to him and the facts of the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Acts 26  We too have others who have witnessed to the facts and history of the death and resurrection of Christ. 

"At midday, O king, I saw in the way a light from heaven, above the brightness of the sun, shining round about me and them which journeyed with me. 14And when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. 15And I said, Who art thou, Lord? And he said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest. 16But rise, and stand upon thy feet: for I have appeared unto thee for this purpose, to make thee a minister and a witness both of these things which thou hast seen, and of those things in the which I will appear unto thee; 17Delivering thee from the people, and from the Gentiles, unto whom now I send thee, 18To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me."

It may be we attended church and heard the message of a release from our sins and faith in Jesus Christ.  We were confused perhaps and did not know that the faith we possess saves us, not our good deeds or our relationship to others who are moral people.  

This is what happened to me many years ago.  I had never really heard a clear and simple message of the good news.  Somehow in the days of my life, it was unclear.  Until a good witness talked to me personally after a service it was not clear ( actually of interest it was a Navy Chaplain who happened to be a Reformed Episcopal presbyter).   Then sometime later after reflection and anguish I came to a point of belief in the Christ of the Scriptures.  I said I was going to throw the Bible out the window or believe it.  This was when I attended college and lived in the Academy dorms.  Obviously, I said I would read and see if it made sense.  It did.

2.  The beautiful result of faith is that our eyes are opened,  (we) turn  from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that (we) may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me. ( Christ)"

"In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."  Proverbs 3:6


We are now in the hands of God and have forgiveness of our sins.

What we have just said is the meat of the gospel, or the good news of God's love and mercy toward us when we were under the power of Satan.  Who in our circle needs this?  Who is our state of country needs this?  I have been praying especially for the leadership of our country especially when I hear things that do not add up for protecting and serving our people.  No one in leadership is perfect in their words or actions.  They need our support and help .  The best thing we can do for them is call on God to assist and lead .  Our President needs this.

3.  Who among us needs a loving touch of our compassion as we listen to their situations?  King Agrippa had an opportunity to respond.  He had heard the prophets.  Confronted by the Apostle in clear language of the appearance of Jesus to Him the Apostle prayed that even the King would turn from his own strivings and inadequacies to the Light who is Jesus Christ." Almost thou persuadest me to be a Christian " said the King to Paul.

As I mentioned earlier many around us are in the same situation.  They have not yielded to the God who made them in His image. We know that and try in our own way to give them encouragement to be persuaded in becoming a Christian.  Almost does not make it , does it?
Almost does not achieve the objective that is to know God forever in this life and the life to come.

Who do you know that is almost?  Almost a Christian is not a Christian.  Unless we have yielded our minds and hearts to God in His Son Jesus Christ , we will not have the forgiveness of sins and the light we need to go on our way in this life that we may glorify God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home Going Prayer for Fred Hartin , Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church

Presentation of the Lord in the Temple , Candlemas

Advent and the Rain. Isaiah 4:6