Thomas Watson on Romans 8:28 to encourage us all
Instead of a long message I think we can profit from the wisdom of others. I seem to believe that sometimes for whatever reason, we have a tendency to skim over things and not take them to heart. Therefore, I suggest Thomas Watson , " All Things for Good" for a change and encouragement in our Christian lives .
This dear little book published by Banner of Truth Trust was first published in the 1600's as "The Divine Cordial". Watson was the minister of St. Stephen's, Walbrook.
The theme of the book comes from the familiar verse Romans 8:28 " We know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are the called according to His purpose."
1. We know. So often we don't know ( a lack of love for God and trust in Him?)---- we must trust in God's plan which is unknown to us. It reminds me of the wooden piece that my grandfather , the retired Presbyterian , and son of G Campell Morgan gave me. It looks like the pieces don't fit and there is no word. But if you put it at the right angle it says " JESUS" in capital letters. I remember when he first gave it to me, and I was perplexed. Then I set it on the mantelpiece and went away into the living room. Then I came back to it, and the word JESUS suddenly appeared. I was shocked , but comforted!
He , the Creator of the world, according to Hebrews 1 makes all things and then things make sense. Sometimes you have to twist the angle of the piece to see JESUS, and that is the story of our lives as well. The twists and turns all lead to God and His Son, but we have to endure these things to see His Name.
If we accept and trust the Holy Scriptures as the total Word of God, inerrant, that is to say in the words of inspiration, we do know as the Apostle here says " WE KNOW"
Some other " know" are :I John 3:14 " We know that we have passed from death to life" 2 Corinthians 5:1 " We know that if our earthly tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens."
These are encouraging words , aren't they? We need that in the midst of our ungodly and unbelieving culture. I know I do need them. It helps me to write these things out and listen to the words of others many years ago. Watson was one of those we can listen to with no doubts.
2. " All things work together for good."
Psalm 25:10 says this as well, " All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep His covenant."
Daniel in the lion's den , Jonah in the belly of the whale, and the three Hebrews in the furnace are examples of the power of God working for us . Psalm 32:8 "I will guide thee with mine eye"
Sinning against this goodness is an ungrateful and terrible path to take in our lives, for the godly look to Him despite the circumstances of the world and our country. He is working all things for our good no matter what our eyes may see.
Who of us does not need this in our short lives? Two of my relatives have died in the past year and although one of them was not expected, it is difficult to say goodbye to our friends and families who no longer can speak with us.
And I too had major surgery on my hip replacement which was and is quite the major stop in life. No driving till the DR says, and sleeping a different position,so as to not break the new hip. The waiting is the most difficult time as I heal.
Part of our problem is our inattention to spiritual matters. The 1940 Protestant Episcopal Hymnal for this Sunday , 8th Sunday after Trinity, points us to Him. 499 is appointed . Vs 2 is pointed.
" Search out our hearts and make us true, Wishful to give to all their due
From love of pleasure, lust of gold, From sins which make the heart grow cold,
Wean us and train us with Thy rod, Teach us to know our faults , O God."
I close this short message and devotional thanking people like Thomas Watson who was so strong in his teaching from the Scriptures. I heartily recommend this little book to encourage you in your Christian life.
David D. Mc Millan , Pastor, & Chaplain (Major) US Army, ret.
Comments
Post a Comment