Psalm 23

Communion Meditation---Psalm 23

Of all the Scripture in the Bible this section is the most well known of them all. It is often read at funerals . Today we read this Scripture as the Psalm for today. The difficulty or problem that this Scripture addresses is one we all struggle with. Is God there? Is He watching over me? Are all the haphazard occurrences and people I meet in my life’s journey in His timing ? Does there seem to be any one in charge? How do I know that He is near when it is dark outside and there is no light?

While we do not see Shepherds walking around today we can get this picture in our mind of such a person. “ The LORD is my Shepherd”. We are the sheep of His pasture. Psalm 95 . “For he is the Lord our God, *
and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand. ” In the Doubter's Dictionary by Frederick Buechner. A wise and wry theologian, Mr Buechner writes that ‘faith is a kind of whistling in the dark because, in much the same way, it helps to give us courage and to hold shadows at bay' ..so wrote Carla Carlisle from England when her 300 year old oak tree fell in the country . With Jesus as our Shepherd we are secure. He will give and has given His life to protect His sheep , those who trust in Him for eternal life.It is not a whistling in the dark . I John 5:13 reminds us so aptly that “ I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know you have eternal life.”
“ The LORD is my Shepherd. I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures.(Hebrew-pastures of tender grass). He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. (renews)…” Provision is made for us despite our wanderings and stubborness. In Holy Communion, spiritually “ the soul sups here, and not the body.” The Shorter Catechism, Alexander Whyte. Yet, things do not go our way. Others disappoint us. Our plans are on hold. Yet we are where God wants us to be. We are dwelling in the still waters of His eternal Word and peace. “ Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:27
The LORD is our guide. He leads me in the paths of righteousness, literally drives me in the paths that I need to go in. The rod and staff are there to protect me . Even when the way is difficult and lonely He will be with me. “I will fear no evil.” We have our plans . We have our agenda. And we usually tell God how we have created this wonderful series of events that must occur so that His plan will be our plan, or our plan is His plan we think. Instead we are led down the path of His own choosing. I was enjoying my first year in the service when we got a call to get our ruck sacks packed. We were flying to Panama. On the plane ride down there all I could think of was that Scripture from Hebrews 13:5 “ … be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said ‘ I will never leave you nor forsake you. ’ So we may boldly say: ‘ The LORD is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?’ ”
Lastly, the LORD is our host. A Table is provided for us . You annoint my head with oil. My cup runs over. I have everything I need . One of the most memorable services I ever had was in 2003 on the steps of Saddam’s palace in Tikrit. We were too busy on Easter Sunday morning getting our perimeter established. I was praying. When can we celebrate the LORD’s resurrection? It did not seem we would get to it. But just before the sun set I had the Chaplain Assistant go around and tell everyone that was available to come over to where I was parked by the beautiful rose garden still blooming. I did not expect many to come. Everyone was so busy. But I was overjoyed. We had Easter Service and a crowd of Soldiers came . It was never to be forgotten. We sang the songs of the Lord in a strange land.
Here we are only for a while, but soon our Shepherd will guide us to the place of everlasting joy where there is no more suffering, no more crying and where we shall see Him face to face. Today as we drink the cup and eat the Bread we feed on Christ. “ Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life; And I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.”
Let us pray. “ O HEAVENLY Father, you understand all your children; through your gift of faith we bring our perplexities to the light of your wisdom, and receive the blessed encouragment of your sympathy, and a clearer knowledge of your will. Glory be to thee for all thy gracious gifts. Amen.” 1928 Book of Common Prayer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15