How to begin the journey?

---So we are getting ready for a trip, a journey to the Cross and beyond that will lead us to Easter Day , the Resurrection and Joy of Easter. How should we get ready?

On a regular trip you think of things you need to do before you leave. Pay some bills, get the vet on line, etc.....fix up around the house so it does not look too bad while you are gone. This trip we are taking is a spiritual one so it may be good to do some outer work on our spiritual houses, but we will need to do some work that is interior as well.

Look at what is going on in our lives and what we think may be important may not be so at all. The little interuptions could be more significant than we thought. Let us start paying attention to what we are doing outwardly and inwardly.

The Day of Lent is almost upon us and we cannot leave for the journey without our bags packed and our destination planned.

What are we going to be doing on our trip? What are we taking? What is important? A Bible verse a day? A time of morning or evening prayer that we have never had before? Should we alter our schedules so that the tv has less time? Should we eat less and exercise in quiet ways instead of noisy ways?

Is it possible we are missing something in our planning?

So as we hit the road we want to be ready. We want the journey to help us to be better Christians who focus on what is eternally important. I noted that the words for this hymn are different than the ones in my hymn book . These are deeper.

Jesus, Lover of my soul,
let me to thy bosom fly,
while the nearer waters roll,
while the tempest still is high:
hide me, O my Savior, hide,
till the storm of life be past;
safe into the haven guide,
O receive my soul at last.

Other refuge have I none,
hangs my helpless soul on thee;
leave, ah! leave me not alone,
still support and comfort me!
All my trust on thee is stayed;
all my help from thee I bring;
cover my defenseless head
with the shadow of thy wing.

Thou, O Christ, art all I want;
mor than all in thee I find;
raise the fallen, cheer the faint,
heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is thy Name;
I am all unrighteousness;
false and full of sin I am;
thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with thee is found,
grace to cover all my sin;
let the healing streams abound,
make and keep me pure within.
Thou of life the fountain art,
freely let me take of thee:
spring thou up within my heart,
rise to all eternity.

http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/j/j125.html



Should we take some Scripture in preparation? Genesis 18:1-20 are the words we read today from the OT:"

And the Lord said, Because the cry of Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grievous; I will go down now, and see whether they have done altogether according to the cry of it, which is come unto me; and if not, I will know. And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord. And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein? That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right? And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes. And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes: Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it. And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake. And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there. And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake. And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake. And the Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place. "

Are we concerned about others beside ourselves as the account above shows? Do we know God's mercy in our lives now and how it can be shared with others by us?

There are so many things to do but all of them come back to this:


THE LORD is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him. Hab. ii. 20.

I was glad when they said unto me, We will go into the house of the LORD. Psalm cxxii. 1.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be alway acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength and my redeemer. Psalm xix. 14.

O send out thy light and thy truth, that they may lead me, and bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy dwelling. Psalm xliii. 3.

Thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. Isaiah Ivii. 15.

The hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. St. John iv. 23.

Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. Phil. i. 2.


Lent.
Rend your heart, and not your garments, and turn unto the LORD your God: for he is gracious and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repenteth him of the evil. Joel ii. 13.

The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise. Psalm li. 17.



Happy journey .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15