Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving.

I Thessalonians 5:18 says, " In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you."

What I have learned in thinking about this verse the last few days or so is that it is a command first of all. Give thanks. You give thanks. It is the word we often use for Communion, " Eucharist" . We wonder why such and such happens, the job goes, the washer goes, or the tire blows. And we say wonder how can we say thank you for that? The point is that we are to recognize " Divine sovereignty" and that " God is over all". ( Leon Morris ) In other words all things are under His hand even the difficulties we experience.

But a Christian has much to be thankful for.

A thief broke into the home of Matthew Henry , one of the most popular Bible commentators who has ever written. The robber stole Matthew's wallet. He wrote this in his diary, " Let me be thankful, first, because he never robbed me before; second, because although he took my wallet, he did not take my life; third, because although he took all I possessed, it was not much; and fourth it was I who was robbed, not I who robbed."

But a Christian has much to be thankful for.

1. Eternal life. I Jn 5:11 " And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."
I remember sitting around my grandfather's table after a meal and the family was talking about this verse. Some were incredulous. Some were doubtful, but my grandfather, the Presbyterian minister in Philadelphia said it was a great promise. We all sat there and heard that.
John 14:2- says, " I go to prepare a place for you."

II. All things are working together for my good.
There is a hymn that says " Thanks for thorns as well as roses."
Romans 8:28 " And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose."

III. God will supply all my needs.
Philippians 4:19 - " And my God shall supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Jesus Christ."

IV. I can do all things.
Philippians 4:13 " I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."

Conclusion- Dwight L. Moody was once reading Psalm 103 " Bless the Lord, O my soul & forget not all His benefits."
He stopped short, "You can't remember 'em all, of course, but don't forget 'em all. Remember some of 'em."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15