Put it in His Hands

Trinity 3.

Psalter
The Twenty-Seventh Psalm
Dominus illuminatio.
________________________________________
THE LORD is my light and my salvation; whom then shall I fear? * the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom then shall I be afraid?

When the wicked, even mine enemies and my foes, came upon me to eat up my flesh, * they stumbled and fell.

Though an host of men were laid against me, yet shall not my heart be afraid; * and though there rose up war against me, yet will I put my trust in him.

One thing have I desired of the LORD, which I will require; * even that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to behold the fair beauty of the LORD, and to visit his temple.

For in the time of trouble he shall hide me in his tabernacle; * yea, in the secret place of his dwelling shall he hide me, and set me up upon a rock of stone.

And now shall he lift up mine head * above mine enemies round about me.

Therefore will I offer in his dwelling an oblation, with great gladness: * I will sing and speak praises unto the LORD.

Hearken unto my voice, O LORD, when I cry unto thee; * have mercy upon me, and hear me.

My heart hath talked of thee, Seek ye my face: * Thy face, LORD, will I seek.

O hide not thou thy face from me, * nor cast thy servant away in displeasure.

Thou hast been my succour; * leave me not, neither forsake me, O God of my salvation.

When my father and my mother forsake me, * the LORD taketh me up.

Teach me thy way, O LORD, * and lead me in the right way, because of mine enemies.

Deliver me not over into the will of mine adversaries: * for there are false witnesses risen up against me, and such as speak wrong.

I should utterly have fainted, * but that I believe verily to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

O tarry thou the LORD'S leisure; * be strong, and he shall comfort thine heart; and put thou thy trust in the LORD.
Old Testament Lesson-
*Jeremiah 31:1-14

At the same time, saith the Lord, will I be the God of all the families of Israel, and they shall be my people. Thus saith the Lord, The people which were left of the sword found grace in the wilderness; even Israel, when I went to cause him to rest. The Lord hath appeared of old unto me, saying, Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness have I drawn thee. Again I will build thee, and thou shalt be built, O virgin of Israel: thou shalt again be adorned with thy tabrets, and shalt go forth in the dances of them that make merry. Thou shalt yet plant vines upon the mountains of Samaria: the planters shall plant, and shall eat them as common things. For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the Lord our God. For thus saith the Lord; Sing with gladness for Jacob, and shout among the chief of the nations: publish ye, praise ye, and say, O Lord, save thy people, the remnant of Israel. Behold, I will bring them from the north country, and gather them from the coasts of the earth, and with them the blind and the lame, the woman with child and her that travaileth with child together: a great company shall return thither. They shall come with weeping, and with supplications will I lead them: I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn. Hear the word of the Lord, O ye nations, and declare it in the isles afar off, and say, He that scattered Israel will gather him, and keep him, as a shepherd doth his flock. For the Lord hath redeemed Jacob, and ransomed him from the hand of him that was stronger than he. Therefore they shall come and sing in the height of Zion, and shall flow together to the goodness of the Lord, for wheat, and for wine, and for oil, and for the young of the flock and of the herd: and their soul shall be as a watered garden; and they shall not sorrow any more at all. Then shall the virgin rejoice in the dance, both young men and old together: for I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them, and make them rejoice from their sorrow. And I will satiate the soul of the priests with fatness, and my people shall be satisfied with my goodness, saith the Lord.


The Collect


O LORD, we beseech thee mercifully to hear us; and grant that we, to whom thou hast given an hearty desire to pray, may, by thy mighty aid, be defended and comforted in all dangers and adversities; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.



The Epistle
1 St. Peter v. 5.
ALL of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you. Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.



The Gospel
St. Luke xv. 1.
THEN drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him. And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. And he spake this parable unto them saying, What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it? And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost. I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance. Either what woman having ten pieces of silver, if she lose one piece, doth not light a candle, and sweep the house, and seek diligently till she find it? And when she hath found it, she calleth her friends and her neighbours together, saying, Rejoice with me; for I have found the piece which I had lost. Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

The Sermon---
It is good to put this section of Luke 15 in context. ( A text without a context is a pretext). Luke 14 deals with Jesus talking about banquets and humility. ( Don’t worry about the place of honor); Then the parable of the excuses 14:15-24 buying a field, buying oxen, and getting married. A sombre verdict is pronounced by Jesus on all of them. It continues with discipleship (14;25-33) & counting the cost of following Him. A man who comes to Him must renounce all that He has; Then , a short parable about salt and discipleship. 15 comes with parables about the lost.
The 3 parables are well known. I will deal mainly with the first two and the Parable of Prodigal Son is well known, the last one. We have heard of---the lost coin and the lost sheep.
Why did Jesus tell them? The answer is in what the Pharisees and scribes were murmuring. “ The man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them. And He spake this parable unto them, saying….”
1. Our Lord Jesus Christ sets the example for us in attitude of acceptance despite the behavior of others. Luke 15:2

“ This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them….” So the Pharisees said about our Lord Jesus Christ. Receives here is a special Greek word, which means to receive favorably. Also Romans 16:2 and that word is the same Greek word , receiving a believer “ I commend to you Phebe our sister which is a servant of the church..that ye receive her in the Lord, as becomes saints…”

Well, does this shake you up as it did me when I saw it? Then Jesus not only received them, making grace possible for them, but He ate with them! As Christians, God is our example in our conduct, is it not? “ Like as a father pitieth his children, so the LORD pitieth them that fear Him. For He knoweth our frame; He remembereth that we are dust.” Ps 103:13

And we must act as fathers , mature spiritual children ( I John 2:13 “ I write unto you fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning”) in our love for our children, whether spiritual or physical in the family .

How do we receive others?

2. LOST ---the man looks for his lost sheep. The woman looks for the lost coin. The father looks for his lost son. What does it feel like to be lost? Some of us remember that in our own spiritual lives as we felt lost before we had received Christ and eternal life. How did we come to be found? I am sure it involved someone else who mirrored the Father’s compassion in some way or fashion, did it not?

We may have read some good thoughts or Bible verses, but there was a human spark to kindle the fire. Someone showed us love when we did not have it . Some of us are like the chair that Benjamin Franklin reportedly commented on in Independence Hall in Philadelphia. He looked at the picture of the sun, and asked, whether the coming country was going to exist, and he said , “ Is this a rising sun or setting sun?”

Our Heavenly Father looked for us and He found us. “ There is joy in heaven over one sinner that repenteth.” 15: 7.

3.
Often our world does not feel that it is loved . Christians sometimes feel this way as well.
Jesus taught in the Lord’s Prayer to say “ Father” in Luke 11 version or “ Our Father in heaven “ Matthew 6
The events of the this year would surely confirm our fears that we are right to feel fearful and that God has abandoned us.

The man accused of killing nine people inside a black church in Charleston has made his first court appearance, with the relatives of all the victims making tearful statements.
Dylann Roof appeared via video before a judge in South Carolina. He wore a jail jumpsuit and was handcuffed, and spoke only to answer questions. When asked his age, he told the judge he was 21. He also told the judge he was unemployed.
Relatives of the shooting victims also spoke at the hearing, with one victim's daughter sobbing as she said, "I forgive you."

When God brings us into situations we had not planned for we may feel lost. The Lord’s Prayer has the phrases, “ Lead us not into temptation “ and “ Deliver us from evil ( the evil one)”. These situations must go back to our original words in the prayer Jesus taught us, “ Father”. If God pities us as His children, then because of that relationship all will turn out well. We call this the providence of God. He will never let us be abandoned but in the darkest times is our Shepherd.

“ The LORD is my Shepherd . I shall not want…Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me….Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.” Ps. 23

“God never withholds from His child that which His love and wisdom call good. God’s refusals are always merciful—‘severe mercies’ at times, but mercies all the same. God never denies us our hearts’ desire except to give us something better.” Ellisabeth Eliot, well known missionary to the native tribes of Ecuador, and author who died on (5) few years ago at age 88
She also said this which is a shorter version of the same idea:

“Leave it all in the Hands that were wounded for you.”



In the Name of the Father , and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost. Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15