Isaiah 55 in the Fourth Sunday in Lent

 Isaiah 55

   As we head to the Passion of our Lord next Sunday and following we are to be encouraged reading this passage today which talks about God's Providential care of our lives.  His ways are not our ways.  We call this providence.  

1.  He pardons those who return to Him even the wicked if they forsake their ways and come near to God in repentance. vs 7  We do have help. There are opportunities for pardon every day and forgiveness.  

  --God is near.  He has no boundaries as we have.  He is not human. He is eternal .  We are talking about God our Father.  Our ways and thoughts need cleansing daily . It is good to know we have an Advocate as well Jesus Christ the Righteous , the eternal Divine Son.I John 2:1;  I John 1:7  His blood cleanseth us from all sin.

His ways and His thoughts are revealed to us in the Person of Jesus Christ through the illumination of the Spirit of God.  He comes to us in the Holy Scriptures to encourage and enlighten us.  The principle source of knowledge in this world is God and His Word.  In His light we see light.  His Word is a light unto our path.

He comes to us through the wisdom of others as well. Proverbs 11:14 " Where no counsel is, the people fall :but in the multitude of counselors there is safety." Counsel hebrew here is wise guidance , direction and the word is used in the steering of a ship.

"Knowledge is not supposed to be the end of the matter, That is why the Bible describes Wisdom as the principal thing."  my faithing.com

Charles Spurgeon breaks it down further when he said:

” Wisdom is the right use of knowledge. to know is not to be wise. Many men know a great deal and are all the greater fools for it. There is no fool so great a fool as a knowing fool. But to know how to use knowledge is to have wisdom.” 

There are counselors and there are counselors.  There is wisdom and knowledge but facts do not make us wise. 

---our difficulty is we pay attention to the loudest voices without discernment and prayer.  These days till Easter are times of renewal and focus on God's eternal Word.

His Church follows Christ and His Word and can be a source of His ways as well.  

2. Pardon is available.  Some call it absolution of our sins . This only comes from God and His Son through the application of His Word.  It is good to know we can change through Him.  Philippians reminds us " I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me."

There are good ruts to be in .  His ways and His Word accomplish His purposes in our lives, not our ways.  "There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death."  Proverbs 16:25

Bill Anderson

 “You can’t control the wind but you can adjust the sail”

“The whole Christian life is a life of repentance.”  Martin Luther  ( the one sermon on this I saw said we have to know that sin is  a problem for us and to not be discouraged in our Christian lives)

Proverbs 29:18  " Without a vision (revelation) the people perish"  Or more in the Hebrew "the people cast off restraint but he who keeps the law is happy"

“If someone is going down the wrong road, he doesn’t need motivation to speed him up. What he needs is education ( I would add inspiration and Divine inspiration) to turn him around.”

— Jim Rohn

3. Lastly, remember God Has His Way for you and I not our way.  His ways are the best in the end and in the journey through our lives.

Our thoughts make us what we are.  Dale Carnegie  ( usually I don't like him but he has a good point here)

We need the rain to make the seed grow.  Sun is not always enough .  It will dry out the soil. Now and then our lives are filled with thunder, lightning and rain, even some strong winds.

vs. 6 may be helpful here--"  Seek the LORD  while He may be found, call ye upon Him while He is near"  Moses had the burning bush he did not ignore as God called out to him.  " Draw near"

Some of us learn the hard way, but we have wrinkles and lines and gray hair to prove it.  We don't give up, we persevere in life's mysteries and challenges.

"God, the great Creator of all things, doth uphold, direct dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by his most wise and holy providence, according to his infallible foreknowledge, and the free and immutable counsel of his own will, to the praise of the glory of his wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy." ch 5, " Westminster Confession of Faith"

Matthew 10:29-31 is always helpful here:"  Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows."

His eye is on the sparrow. He watches over me.  Why should I feel discouraged?  And why should the shadows come?  And why should my heart be lonely? My constant friend is He.


His Eye Is On The Sparrow

Civilla Martin

His Eye is on the Sparrow

Throughout life, we may feel discouraged and down. But always remember that He is by our side and watches over us through it all. Just like the lyrics of 'His Eye Is On The Sparrow' remember that He is with us in all that we do. And when you hear how this popular hymn came to be written, your heart will be touched. Do not be troubled because we have the King of kings on our side!

His Eye is on the Sparrow Lyrics

His Eye is On The Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,

Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,

When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I sing because I’m happy,

I sing because I’m free,

For His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know He watches me.


“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,

And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;

Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I sing because I’m happy,

I sing because I’m free,

For His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know He watches me.


Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,

When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,

I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


I sing because I’m happy,

I sing because I’m free,

For His eye is on the sparrow,

And I know He watches me.


 


Songwriters

Charles Gabriel

Published by

Public Domain

The Story Behind His Eye is on the Sparrow

Civilla Martin was born in Nova Scotia in 1866. Her husband was an evangelist who traveled all over the United States. She accompanied him and they worked together on most of the musical arrangements that were sung. 


In 1904 Civilla was visiting an ill, bedridden friend. Although discouraged and sick, her friend remembered that God, her Heavenly Father, was watching over each little sparrow and would certianly watch after her. Matthew 10:29-31: "Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."


Mrs. Martin was a poet and thought this would be a perfect idea for a poem. She jotted down the idea and by the end of the day, had completed "His Eye is On The Sparrow".


The entire poem was sent to a well-known composer of that day, Charles Gabriel. His lovely music has carried it all around the world in small churches and great crusades. Ethel Waters is remembered for her great rendition of this song, when she sang and gave her testimony at many Billy Graham Crusades.


Used with permission from "His Eye is On The Sparrow" @Christianity.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15