Mother's Day

 Mother's Day 

I found this while thinking about Mother's Day. Also it is Rogation Sunday, asking Sunday from latin rogare where we ask for the fruits and crops of the earth.

--- Today is a day when we honor our Moms. We learn many things from our Moms.

"My mother taught me religion. She used to say things like, "You better pray that comes out of the carpet."

My mother taught me medicine: "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they're going to freeze that way."

My mother taught me how to be a contortionist: "Will you look at the dirt on the back of your neck!"

My mother taught me to appreciate a job well done: "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning!"

My mother taught me about genetics: "You are just like your father!

My mother taught me logic: "Because I said so, that's why." sermon.com mother's day

1.Our I Peter reading today talks about the spirit and heart of a person, and it certainly applies to Mother's Day.  I  Peter 3:4 " Let it not be that outward adorning ....but let it be the hidden man of the heart....a meek and quiet spirit , which in the sight of God of great price"

meek= meek. See 4236 (praótēs).

This difficult-to-translate root (pra-) means more than "meek." Biblical meekness is not weakness but rather refers to exercising God's strength under His control – i.e. demonstrating power without undue harshness.

[The English term "meek" often lacks this blend – i.e. of gentleness (reserve) and strength.] biblehub.org

" How can I be loving and not be a Doormat?"  " When asked to violate a boundary, an otherwise submissive person can be empowered to take a right stand with a polite “no.” God loves us, but He is not afraid to say “no” when He needs to. Doormats are generally people who are afraid to say “no” when they need to. Recognizing why we are afraid can be a big step in overcoming that handicap."  gotquestions.org

quiet spirit=hēsýxios (an adjective derived from hēsyxos, "quiet, stillness") – properly, quiet (still), i.e. steady (settled) due to a divinely-inspired inner calmness.

hēsyxios ("calmly quiet") describes being "appropriately tranquil" by not misusing (or overusing) words that would stir up needless friction (destructive commotion). biblehub.org

The example given in Peter is Sara who obeyed Abraham. I Peter 3:6

Our Christianity does not start with how we feel.  It starts with God and our lives end with Him as well.Throughout our lives we are His.  We are called.  We are forgiven.  We are justified.  This is not our doing .  He enables us to believe through His call.  Our sinful nature is unable to.  We call it Total Depravity .

When shown our error, how do we respond?  Do we have a meek and quiet spirit or do we stir up needless friction?

My mother often corrected my thinking.  I appreciated her input and told her so.  She was a friend.

2.  We may have to suffer for what is good.  We will suffer.  Jesus did.  So we will too.  We are not any better than Him.

" Do not be afraid.....neither be troubled" 3:14

Instead we should "sanctify the Lord God in your(our) hearts"

This means to let Him be your fear...to quietly reverence the Lord God , and to take refuge in Him from The 1st Epistle General of Peter by Alan Stibbs

Another mother quote. " G. Campbell Morgan, a profound British preacher whose four sons all became pastors, influenced millions with his preaching, teaching and writing. One day, when his young son Howard finished preaching, a reporter asked him, “Since you have five Pastors in your family who is the greatest preacher? Expecting the son to give the honor to his father, Howard surprised the reporter by saying, “My Mother!” Often people do not realize that a mother’s love, concern and teaching are often far more influential on people than anything else. Never underestimate the power of love. (Paul Fritz, Sermon Central)."

3. " Be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear." I Peter 3:15

The word Greek is defense (Gk apologian) or apologetic for the faith....

Do this with mildness and gentleness. And with fear or reverence for God and others who He created.

3:18 says Christ suffered for us, the Just for the Unjust, that He might bring us to God.

Conclusion.  Thank God for mothers who bore us.  Thank God for the holy women ( 3:5) that trusted in God.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15