Prayer and questions

PRAYER-Luke 11:1-13

The text this morning is one we all know. It is breath taking. Has that ever happened to you? Have you ever seen something so wonderful and remarkable that you cannot get over it? I think the first time I went to sea in the merchant marine was such a time. I did the 360 turn and could not see anything but sea. That was breath taking. Another time was in Iraq in 2003 when I was with the 4th Infantry Division and we got to Saddam’s palace in Tikrit . The Marines had been there before us. But there was a perfect rose garden all around the grounds! I was stunned. And for the next 5 months while I was there I enjoyed the roses!
The Lord’s prayer is such a prayer for us. It is breath-taking and it takes our breath away with its focus on God, our daily needs as well as our shortcomings and sins. Jesus reminds us in the story after the prayer of how we should keep asking for God’s gifts . “…(your father) knows how to give good gifts …” Luke 11:13

John Newton said, “I am not what I ought to be, I am not what I want to be, I am not what I hope to be in another world—but still I am not what I once used to be, and by the grace of God I am what I am.”

Jesus says to “ ask , and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you…”11:9 This is what our Lord says. But we do not always believe it. Some of us have been asking for years and we still are waiting. What gives?

In the Book of Romans the Apostle Paul tells us “ God is for us, and He will graciously give us all things…: 8:32 He asks , “ Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?” J I Packer in his classic book, Knowing God makes sense of this for us, “

…human love, for all its power in other ways , cannot ensure that what is desired for the beloved will actually happen…divine love is a function of omnipotence, and HAS AT ITS HEART AN ALMIGHTY PURPOSE TO BLESS WHICH CANNOT BE THWARTED.”

Let me close with a prayer found on a Soldier after he died which sums up our requests and God’s answers:

Confederate Soldier's Prayer
I asked God for strength, that I might achieve, I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health, that I might do greater things,I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy,I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men,I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life,I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for - but everything I had hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered. I am among men, most richly blessed.
Found on the body of a Southern soldier1861-1865

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can;and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time; Enjoying one moment at a time; Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace; Taking, as Hehttp://mackirk.blogspot.com/ did, this sinful worldas it is, not as I would have it; Trusting that He will make all things rightif I surrender to His Will;That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with HimForever in the next.Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15