Merry Christmas


Merry Christmas.  Christmas. Isaiah 9:2-7;Titus 2:11-14; Luke 2:1-14
   We celebrate the Nativity of our Lord Jesus Christ, born of Mary, a virgin, a devout woman who served God in a very special way.  “ The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.  Therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God.” 1:35 (Luke)
   Grit.  In the grit and dirt of a manger He was born.  “There was no room for them in the inn.”2:7  He was born in the same place the animals slept in.  This shows his humanity and lowliness.  Mary wrapped him in “swaddling clothes” as was the custom to keep the limbs in place.  This shows she was poor as it was usually done by someone else.  And if we are his servants then we too will endure hardships, loneliness, difficulties and disappointments.  “ The servant is not greater than his Lord.  If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you.”  We are not greater than He is.  In the lowly places, Jesus comes.
Mt 25:34-40 “ Come ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.   Then shall the righteous answer him, saying Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? Or thirsty, and gave me drink?  When saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
Henri Nouwen was a pastor, counselor, and professor of Christian spirituality for over 25 years.  He said, ..” I found myself praying poorly, living somewhat isolated from other people…everyone said I was doing really well but something inside was telling me that my success was putting my soul in danger..in the midst of this I kept praying, ‘ Lord, show me where you want me to go and I will follow you.’” He was led to a community of mentally handicapped people.  They did not care how many books he had written, “ I was faced with my naked self, open for affirmations and rejections, hugs and punches, smiles and tears, all dependent simply on how I was perceived at the moment.” Henri takes Bill, a handicapped person, to a conference where he was to deliver an address.  Needless to say the evening was made more real when Bill said a few words at the end.
Grace.  In the grit of life we experience His Grace.  With people who are just like you and me and without pretense Jesus comes to us with His love and embraces us for not who we are but who we can be in Him through faith.  In God’s eternal love we know no fear.  “ Fear not” is said several times in Luke. “ Fear not Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard.”1:13 “ Fear not, Mary: for thou hast found favor with God” 1:30  “ And the angel said unto them , Fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.” 2:10  And in that love and grace God asks us for our response of trust and faith despite what we see.  He asks us to trust Him when things are dark and lonely and when we do not feel good about ourselves or anything else.  Someone once told me from the south that grit is grits and gravy and that is grace. “ For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.” 2:11
In this grace we see His glory even now.  It is like a peak into heaven, a foretaste of the heavenly place where there is no more pain or death. “ Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger, and suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, ‘ Glory to God in the highest , and on earth peace, good will toward men.” 2:14
Henri Nouwen closes his book with an illustration of taking one of the mentally handicapped men with him to a conference. “ After I had finished reading my text and people had shown their appreciation, Bill said to me,’ Henri , can I say something now?’ My first reaction was, ‘ Oh, how am I going to handle this? He might start rambling and create an embarrassing situation, ‘ but then I caught myself in my presumption that he had nothing of importance to say and said to the audience,’ Will you please sit down? Bill would like to say a few words to you.’ Bill took the microphone and said, with all the difficulties he has in speaking, ‘ Last time when Henri went to Boston, he took John with him.  This time he wanted me to come with him to Washington, and I am very glad to be here with you. Thank you very much.’ That was it, and everyone stood up and gave him warm applause.”
In our situations God comes as a baby born in a manger full of grace to show us His glory.  Now we must receive it and Him as well.
“ NOW UNTO HIM, that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us; unto him be glory in the Church by Christ Jesus, throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.” Eph. 3:20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15