Whitsunday

Pentecost / Whitsunday 2016
Last week we spoke of the shiny new car, yet it had no engine, and what use was it? It certainly looked lovely, but without the engine it cannot run. We need the Holy Spirit in the life of the unbeliever which is life. For the believer in God as well, the Holy Spirit sustains us by His power and love applying the merits of God the Father through the shed blood of Christ , His eternal Son, divine and the second person of the Holy Trinity in His mercy when we did not deserve it.

One of our Whitsunday scriptures is Romans 8:1-11 , the second reading in morning prayer. " They that are in the flesh cannot please God." 8:8 By our own flesh and deeds we cannot enter God's eternal heavenly presence whenever we leave this world. But the great news is that in the Spirit of Christ , and Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin: but the Spirit is life because of righteousness." 8:11 This is basic gospel or good news. We because of sin cannot enter heaven, but Christ will give us eternal life through our faith in Him , and our sin is forever forgiven!

In England in 1552 there were 42 articles of religion in the reign of Edward VI...." Of Grace"- ' The grace of Christ, or the Holy Ghost by Him given, doth take away the stony heart and giveth an heart of flesh.' " Bishop Browne on " The Exposition of the 39 Articles of Religion."

Second point is that we must ask for God's Holy Spirit in our spiritual hearts of stone. This is what the Pentecost Gospel in our Prayer Book for this day, pg. 183 ,Luke 11. ASK, and it shall be given you ( command in the present tense, keep on asking)...SEEK and you will find (future) ( in other words, do not rely on our feelings alone, but rely on God) This is how we can receive God's Spirit for life now and for life to come. This is what Jesus says in Luke 11. " How much more will the Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who have been asking Him!"

Now this seems too easy. But a lot of us do the opposite. We do not seek God. We are seeking pleasure and riches and instead which will only last temporarily but not satisfy us with living Water. We need the Bread of God that is Jesus Christ that whoever eats this bread will live forever .John 6:51

John Calvin said it this way, " We do not ask that our daily bread may be given to us before we ask that we may be reconciled to God, as if the perishing food of the belly were to be considered more valuable than the eternal salvation of the soul: but we do so that we may ascend, as it were by steps, from earth to heaven. Since God condescends to nourish our bodies, there can be no doubt whatever, that he is far more careful of our spiritual life. This kind and gentle manner of treating us raises our confidence higher."

The last point is the second point amplified. When we struggle and are angry, and perhaps resentful and have lost hope, what are we to do? No , kick the dog is not available. The Luke Gospel for today tells us. Did you already catch it? WE have a Heavenly Father who will give us what we need, no not a new car, not what we want, but He may give us the old VW that has a good engine in it instead. WHAT are we asking for? WHAT do we need? Are the two different? The point that we are making is that we fail to ask, pray at all, and so have our heads down like Eyore in Winnie the Pooh a lot of the time.
ASK, and it shall be given you. Of course we must ask within the confines of God's will and commandments.
Listen to one of my favorite poems to conclude:
A CONFEDERATE SOLDIER'S PRAYER
Author Unknown,
(Attributed to a battle weary C.S.A soldier near the end of the war)

I asked God for strength, that I might achieve;
I was made weak, that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked for health, that I might do greater things;
I was given infirmity, that I might do better things.
I asked for riches, that I might be happy;
I was given poverty, that I might be wise.
I asked for power, that I might have the praise of men;
I was given weakness, that I might feel the need of God.
I asked for all things, that I might enjoy life;
I was given life, that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for, but everything I hoped for.
Almost despite myself, my unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed.

Contributed by:Sunni Evan Montgomery
AMEN.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15