Thomas and our Doubts

Thomas---the Twin? John 20---Today we talk about Thomas in John 20---

A little background first about Thomas--"-It's likely that Thomas was a nickname rather than his given name. Parents of twins would not name one of them "Twin". Yet by translating "Thomas" to "Didymus" three times, the Gospel of John makes it clear that as an adult Thomas was known—even among Greek speakers—as "the twin".

We don't know exactly where or why he got this nickname, or what his given name was. The apocryphal Acts of Thomas, written in the early third century, identifies him as "Judas Thomas", and fourth century historian Eusebius refers to him once as "Judas, who was also called Thomas". "
Pope Benedict, in a reflection on Thomas in 2006, mentioned the etymology of the name but added, "The reason for this nickname is unclear."
One recent speculation is that Thomas' name was not actually derived from the Aramaic word for twin, but sounded enough like it that it became a nickname.

Here is my guess , and I think this is the best way to look at the twin thing----who is Thomas’ twin? Could be me, could be you. Could be each of us and all of us together, as we summon the courage to doubt our doubts, as we read and study the gospel seeking answers to questions. Could be each of us and all of us together when we join the confession of faith: “My Lord and my God.” WE ARE THE TWIN.
https://christianity.stackexchange.com/questions/14874/who-was-thomass-twin

---1. In this account of Thomas it is a bit scary because we see ourselves in it. Our fears, longings and doubts...and yet underneath them all is our Lord Himself, who has said He will never leave or forsake us.
In Acts 1:13 we see this, " ...when they were come in they went into an upper room, where abode both Peter and James, and John, and Andrew Phillip, and Thomas...."

the end of the story in Revelation 21:14 " And the wall of the city had 12 foundations, and in them the names of the 12 apostles of the Lamb"
John 20:24 Thomas is absent and misses out on Jesus' appearance. In John 11:16 says Thomas, " let us go also, that we may die with Him"
In 14: 5 it is Thomas who asks, " Lord, we know not whither Thou goest; how know we the way?"

WHY WAS THOMAS GONE? We are not told, but from his life, he must have been greatly disturbed by what he had seen. His Lord was dead. Thomas HAD MISSED EASTER.
----It hardly seems possible, with all the greatness, wonder, and excitement of it all. And yet he missed Easter, the greatest event in the history of the world. He had been caught up in the dreams and events of the Master---Jesus, and had plenty of enthusiasm, but it was not grounded in reality, in what was really happening.
Is it possible that some have missed Easter? Perhaps we are struggling with some disappointment, or loss, which we have not yet entirely worked through. And how do we get through it? How did Thomas get through it?

THE OTHERS CARED ABOUT THOMAS.
The faithful and nurturing care of others, faithful friends. They did not let Thomas slip off the church rolls without a visit or a phone call. It was obviously done in a caring and loving manner , for we know the result of their concern.
" They said unto him, We have seen the Lord!" vs. 25 Thomas could not shake his unbelief, despite this good word. You and I know many just like that, and if we are truthful, we have been there as well. He said that I except I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails and thrust my hand into His side, I will not believe.
But notice, I will not believe. I am unable to right now. I am still angry. I am hurt, and disappointed....I would like to believe, to have a purpose in my life, but I can't get beyond the facts that I see. How can I trust that it is true? Is Jesus real? Can He be real to me?
ST Augustine in his " Confessions" said, " For there was a hunger within me from a lack of inner food, which is yourself, my God...my soul did not grow healthy, but it was ulcered over...and its misery was avid to be scratched by things of sense...I took pride in being refined and cultured. I plunged headlong into love, whose captive I desired to be. But my God, MY MERCY. with how much gall did you sprinkle all that sweetness of mine, and how good you were to do it."

JESUS COMES TO THOMAS
V. 26 About a week later the disciples were gathered, and Thomas was there, then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said Peace be unto you. Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither, thy finger, and behold my hands, and reach hither thy hand, thrust it into my side: Be not faithless but believing.

This is the story of all of us. Jesus comes to us, and we look at His face, and behold His hands, and we too like Thomas believe.
And we too like Thomas do not hesitate to say unto Jesus, " MY LORD AND MY GOD."
And as we think about it later, we too know that He was there all the time, calling us to receive His love, and His power, to get through life, not apart from Him, but to get through life with Him.

Jesus saith unto Thomas, because thou hast seen Me, thou hast believed: Blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of His disciples, which are not written in this book,
BUT THESE ARE WRITTEN, that Ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through His name.

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing our Romans 5 Justification with holiness in the life Romans 6

Walk worthily Philippians 1:27

The Vine and the Branches John 15